Thursday, May 3, 2018

Telephone Girl

At Work
After leaving Juillard in 1933, Millie notes "I worked for a couple of weeks as a fill in at a local dairy. Then as Christmas help at Hahne's Dept. Store in Newark, N.J.

"I eventually got a job with the New Jersey Bell Telephone Co. and became Chief Operator. Was with them about 10 years. Then the 2nd World War started and I decided to join the ARC. NJ Bell felt they were as important to the War effort and would not hold my job for me. Because my Evening Chief Operator joined the WAVES and the Co. held her job, I'm afraid I was a bit miffed but my boss took me into the District Office when I returned."

Another time she noted, "Didn't like using a phone so joined Telephone Co. and became an operator, eventually Chief Operator. Some people are crazy, aren't they? Still dislike some things about phones - particuarly talking to answering services when there's no one to answer."



Written by Winnie Goudey for Millie
Trip to Nova Scotia 1939



No comments:

Post a Comment